Friday, October 22, 2010

am i really THAT old??

  Old and Uncool. That's how I felt this morning. I always feel uncool but hardly ever old. I decided to go in with the kiddos this morning and brave the messy, chatty breakfast crowd. I usually warn them before we leave the house but this morning I was so proud of them for getting up and ready in 20 minutes (because SOMEbody forgot to set the alarm) that I just parked and got out with them. I didn't think it was that big of a deal but apparently, my dear sweet Kennadi did. She stopped, looked me up and down, and gave me a smug little smile. This is how the conversation went:

"Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Are you coming in with us?"

"Yeah. I thought I'd have breakfast with you guys."

"You're gonna come in with us wearing that?"

"Why not?"

"It's your pajamas mom."

"So."

"That's embarrassing."

  Talk about crushed! But I went in anyway. I mean, I wasn't in a thong and tank top- it my old Colorado Buffaloes shirt w/ holes and bleach spots and my (Jeff's) blue (men's) Polo p.j. pants. Not classy, I'll admit but I mean, come one, it's a couple lunch ladies and a collection of snot-nosed, messy haired grade schoolers. It obviously still bothered not just Kennadi but Cayden also because they practically flew through that line and quickly found a spot big enough for the two of them and no one else. So Katy and I got our (incredibly disgusting) food and sat at an almost empty table like a couple'a dorks. I could overhear Kenna telling her friends rather loudly about her "mom in the p.j.'s over theeeeeere".

  I guess it was bound to happen. Eventually they were gonna be at that age where every little thing matters and goes against their "cred". At least they still give me hugs and kisses in the car. I better savor those little things, cuz I'm sure they'll be going, going, gone sooner than I'd like to admit.

2 comments:

  1. Awww, this makes me laugh, but also want to cry at the same time. I don't look forward to this with my own kids :(

    ReplyDelete